Booking.com

Monday, May 29, 2017

Random thoughts on #Uganda traffic


In my random thoughts I remembered something funny that happened last year.
We were travelling to Kampala for Wandukwa Gerald's introduction but some of us had to go by public means till we could connect with a convoy at Nakawa which was waiting for us. We boarded a taxi from Mbale and the other guys in private cars had chosen to set off at the same time as this matatu that we had boarded.
The journey was interactive; thanks to the WhatsApp group that we had created for the function and it all felt like we were moving in the same car. However when we reached a certain place; I think Seeta or Namanve we got stuck in the traffic jam and with maneuvering of the matatu driver, we were able to leap ahead of Peter who was driving the private vehicle and of course we teased them over that.
A few meters ahead, our expert driver did the unthinkable or whatever it was, he branched off to a feeder road which had no traffic but a good measure of dust though with the promise that we shall now reach earlier.
After going for close to 10 kilometers our colleagues who had used private had reached Banda, for us we were still in the bush on a bumpy, dusty road. We reconnected from somewhere but there was no doubt that trying to beat the traffic jam meant that we traveled a longer distance, spent more time and we arrived with dust clogged all over our suits.
We reached 30 minutes later than the others who kept in line and endured the jam, they were cleaner and had not suffered any bumps along the road. I wondered whether there was any worth in trying to beat the jam.
I also remembered my argument with one genius who keeps texting me in gibberish English. I asked her why and her answer; I have no time for full words. I however noted that instead using the word "no" she uses "nara" which is two letters more. I then concluded that this must be a disability.
Back to the matatu driver. I know that many a time not only matatus but even buses and private vehicles choose to use the feeder roads to beat jam.
In trying to beat traffic jam by taking a long route, what is always on our minds?
And in saying "waya se" instead of hello, who do you think you're fooling?
DENIS WABUYI

No comments:

Post a Comment