Booking.com

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Pen is mightier than sword - #Uganda #Write #Education #HumanRights

 

Writing is very simple and has become a lot easier to do than in the past where we had to write letters, buy stamps and mail letters. I do miss those days terribly for I was shaped by the weekly letters from father and my oldest sister and oldest brother but these two wrote maybe once a month. Father wrote every week.

Writing is one of the most healing things one can do in life. Write when you are happy. Write when you are sad. Write when you feel inspired. Write when you see a rainbow.

You can get story ideas from anywhere and anyone. For example, our #UgandaNewsBriefing WhatsApp group is a great start. I get many story ideas from this group. Someone asks a question or posts something. I start to reply..then it gets longer.. and longer.. then it becomes a story. This is the reason why sometimes they see me typing TYPING and typing and not releasing the button and then I go away.

I copy and then post on the web and it becomes a story. WE NEED TO KNOW that writing is fundamental to survival. WRITE. Write about anything. Write even about the mice which are eating the potatoes in the garden. Write about that kid down the road who is always bothering you. Write about your uncle the way I write about my Papa Kibeti. Write a story about how Nakawa market looked today or even the market in Bumasigye. Markets are great places for stories. One time in the Bushika market (Bududa District, Uganda), a story just unfolded right in front of my eyes. It was a very big story. I was young. But President Yoweri Museveni had invaded Uganda and deployed his National Robbers' Army all over the country.

So this one time while I was in Bushika with mother, there was a lot of noise. I ran down to the market and of course she had to follow me to the market. Right in front of my eyes, my own uncle was being stoned to death. MOB JUSTICE. Mob Justice in Uganda must be stopped and my friends and I are working on this. We published some horror stories on Change of Guards Blog about mob justice in Uganda.

Write about the nurse who came to work half in tears because her child was very sick and yet the nurse could not afford to bring the baby to the hospital. Write about the teacher who has gone 11 months with no pay and yet cannot put her 3 kids in that school where she teaches. Write about fat pigs showing up in your village for a funeral and then preaching to you that Museveni is the best president. WRITE. Write as if your life depends on writing. BECAUSE IT DOES.

Martha Leah Nangalama
PASSIONATE ABOUT EDUCATION

No comments:

Post a Comment