Friday, April 14, 2017

Sejusa Factor for #Uganda and freedom, Muhoozi Project @IGPUganda @PoliceUg @aKasingye @UPDFspokesman

Police start investigating Monitor journalist’s case

By Bill Oketch
Lira
The Police Professional Standards Unit, has started investigations into the case of Daily Monitor journalist Mr Emmanuel Opio.
This development comes after the Human Rights Network for Journalists (HRNJ) lodged a complaint on behalf of Mr Opio early last year, in which Mr Opio alleges that he was assaulted and coerced to surrender his camera and later his photos were deleted by police officials.
Among those interrogated include North Kyoga deputy Regional Police Commander, Alfred Turumuye, Lira former Criminal Investigations Department officer Godwin Tumugumye and two junior officers at Lira Central Police Station.
Mr Opio alleges that during a demonstration by residents of Lira Town against Umeme’s constant loadshedding in 2011, his camera was confiscated and all pictures deleted. However, officers at the complaints desk declined to register his case when he went to open an assault case against the police officers. “During the demonstration, police officers grabbed my camera, deleted all the pictures I had taken when police and soldiers were beating up protestors with sticks,” Mr Opio said. He claims that he was also held for two hours.
The Lira District Police Commander, Mr Robert Ssematta, said the “allegation came up and when we wanted to follow up the matter, Mr Opio was not there”. Mr Ssematta accused journlists of unprofessionalism, saying when police officers are being pelted with stones during demonstrations, they don’t take the picture.
He accuses police officer of confiscating his camera and deleting his photos.
===========
By RICHARD WANAMBWA & RISDEL KASASIRA
KAMPALA
A senior member of the security forces has asked Internal Security Organisation (ISO) to investigate claims that top officials, including the chief of police, may have plotted to either assassinate, or frame, colleagues.
A member of the inner circle of Bush War comrades who fought alongside President Museveni between 1981-85, Gen. David Sejusa a.k.a. Tinyefuza, warns that “these are very serious allegations with potential to destabilise the country”.
His instructions are contained in an April 29 letter to the Director General at ISO which he confirmed having wrote. “Yes, I did author that letter sometime back and yes it is my letter,” he said yesterday.
The General also directs that the inquiry establishes if the plans to eliminate top officers, including himself, have anything to do with their opposition to the so-called “Muhoozi Project”.
“… the reason I have written this letter, is in regard to the very serious allegations that have appeared in the press that IGP, Brig. MK, Gen. SS, one Kellen and others hatched an evil and extrajudicial plan of stage-managing the attack on Mbuya barracks [in March] so as to frame some senior members of this government especially I, [Prime Minister] Amama Mbabazi and CDF, Gen. Aronda and those perceived to be anti-Brig. Muhoozi project.
Assassination allegations
“Further, you need to investigate the very serious claims that the same actors are re-organising elements of former Wembley under one police officer Ayegasire Nixon to assassinate people who disagree with this so-called family project of holding onto power in perpetuity,” he writes. Operation Wembley was a joint security response set up by the President Museveni in 2002 to combat run-away violent crime in Kampala and other parts of the country.
Gen. Sejusa writes that “indeed intelligence has picked some clandestine actions by this reckless and rather naïve actors to have some youth recruited as rebels and then frame some members of security services and key politicians perceived as anti-establishment.” The “Muhoozi project” he refers to is an alleged grand, though unspoken plan, to have the commanding officer of the Special Forces Command, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, replace his father as President.
Saleh issue
Gen. Sejusa, who is also the coordinator of intelligence services, refers to another message he sent to the director general voicing the concerns of serving officers at the involvement of Gen. Salim Salim in the army, matters of the economy and affairs of State.
A younger brother to the President, Gen. Saleh was formally retired from the army years ago although he was later appointed senior presidential adviser of defence and security. Yesterday, Gen. Saleh maintained that his position as a presidential adviser confirms that he has a role to play in the defence and security sector. “You very well know that I was appointed Senior Presidential Adviser on defence and security. I’m holding that office until March 1, 2015. True, I’m retired from the army, but I’m a senior presidential adviser and my contract was renewed last year until 2015,” Gen Saleh said in a telephone interview.
“I don’t understand him when he says I’m informally involved in the affairs of the army,” Gen. Saleh said. “My office is Bombo Military Barracks and I didn’t allocate it to myself. It’s absurd if he wrote that letter. He should make a public apology.” Additionally, Gen. Sejusa reflects on reports that Brig. Muhoozi was fast-tracked through ranks and how the so-called Muhoozi project was becoming divisive and a source of intrigue in the army.
Procedures
He said he has brought this and its possible consequences to the attention of the President.
But Gen. Saleh told the Daily Monitor that his colleague should be aware that there are clear procedures spelt out in the Constitution for one to be elected President. “I expected him (Sejusa) to be more informed on how someone becomes President. He is a long serving army officer and [one] expects him to know that” But Gen. Saleh, said he was shocked by the allegations made by Gen. Sejusa “He is abusing my intelligence and I didn’t expect such claims from a colleague like him.”
Police says
Police spokesperson Judith Nabakooba last evening said her boss, Gen. Kayihura, was engaged in a meeting and could not answer his phone. But, on her part, Ms Nabakooba said the matter was too sensitive to be answered by her. We were unable to get comment from Brig. Muhoozi and Special Forces Command spokesperson Edison Kwesiga, as their known phone numbers were not available. But Army spokesperson, Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda, said the Force was unified.
============

Muhoozi project doesn’t exist - govt

Defence minister Crispus Kiyonga arrives at Parliament
Defence minister Crispus Kiyonga arrives at Parliament yesterday where he made a statement regarding Gen. Sejjusa’s claims. PHOTO BY GEOFFREY SSERUYANGE
By SHEILA NATURINDA & ISAAC IMAKA
The Government yesterday went on the record, denying that there are plans to have President Museveni’s son, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, replace him as leader of the country.
“I assure the House that there is no such a Muhoozi project in the army,” Defence minister Crispus Kiyonga told Parliament.The government’s denials were part of its official reaction to Gen. David Sejjusa aka Tinyefuza’s claims that some government officials opposed to the “project” had been singled out for assassination.
Daily Monitor this week published details of a letter Gen. Sejjusa, the coordinator of intelligence agencies, wrote to the Internal Security Organisation boss, asking that the assassination claims be investigated.
In an interview with this newspaper, Gen. Sejusa admitted authoring the letter.
But addressing MPs yesterday, Dr Kiyonga said the letter bearing Gen. Sejusa’s instructions has never reached the director general of the Internal Security Organisation.
The defence minister also denied that there is any criminal conspiracy by senior military officers to either frame or assassinate colleagues.
“And ordinarily, Gen. Sejusa is the coordinator of both external and internal security organisations and if there’s such a serious matter Gen. Sejusa should have addressed it himself or met the Commander-in-Chief,” Dr Kiyonga said.
The minister’s statement, which was unsigned, said Gen Sejusa had abused the laws that govern the army and that the matter would be dealt with by his Commander-in-Chief, President Museveni.
Dr Kiyonga’s statement drew mixed reactions from MPs, with some fearing that the country could be on the brink of a coup given the serious allegations which have been made about senior military officials.
Army MP, Gen. Elly Tumwine, later gave a lengthy lecture on the UPDF and its good intentions for the country, which he concluded by blaming Gen. Sejusa.
“This matter should not cause undue excitement. It is not the first time in the history of UPDF, in the history of this Parliament and in normal life in society that somebody wakes up not feeling well,” Gen. Tumwine said.
Other MPs, however, observed that Gen. Sejusa, who is one of the 10 army representatives in the House, could be the only top military man courageous enough to speak his mind on such a sensitive issue.
MPs speak
Mr Wafula Oguttu (Bukhooli Central) said: “We have had disagreements in the Ugandan army before and it ended up in a coup. We had disagreements in the UNLA, and it ended up in a coup. So, we should not downplay these simmering disagreements. If everything is fine, why are soldiers deserting?” he asked.
Both the Chief of Defence Forces, Gen. Aronda Nyakairima, himself reported to be among the targets for alleged assassination, and police chief Lt. Gen. Kayihura have since issued strong rebuttals to Gen. Sejusa.
Dr Kiyonga confirmed that Gen. Sejusa is out of the country but could not say when is expected to return.
Background
Cabinet on Wednesday asked the Defence Minister, Dr Crispus Kiyonga, to respond to allegations made by the Coordinator of Security Agencies, Gen. David Sejjusa, that there were plans to assassinate senior government officials opposed to alleged attempts to have First Son Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba take over the presidency from his father, President Museveni.
editorial@ug.nationmedia.com
=====================
Kiyonga’s speech
Right Hon Speaker and Hon Members of Parliament.
You will have seen headlines in our local press making serious allegations of a security nature. It has been alleged that a criminal plan had been hatched to;
(a) Frame certain senior officers of Government and the army in order to make it appear that these officers had committed serious and capital offences.
(b) To assassinate certain people perceived to be opposed to the so called “Muhoozi Project”.
This information has no doubt caused concern across the breadth of our population.
The reports in the press are attributed to Gen. David Sejjusa. Gen. Sejjusa is a four-star General, a historical member of the UPDF and an honorable member of this House.
He knows only too well the laws of the country and the law that governs the force in which he continues to serve. It is therefore unfortunate that he should make such serious and false allegations in the manner he has done.
I would like to assure this August House and the country at large that there has not been and there will never be such criminal acts of senior members of Government and the army conspiring to frame their colleagues or indeed anyone in the population. There is no plan that we are aware of to assassinate certain people.
The UPDF and the NRM have clear track record. Such underhand and criminal methods have never been the way these institutions work.
The army is cohesive, united and under effective command and control. And the population and the leaders should remain assured that the country is safe and stable.
Within the context of the constitution and the laws that govern this country, the President and Commander-in-Chief is taking appropriate measures to respond to the acts of indiscipline that have been portrayed to the population through the press and other means.
Mr Speaker, Sir, I wish to request that Parliament notes this statement and gives time to the Commander-in-Chief to take appropriate steps in line with the law.
And in order not to further alarm the population, I request that this statement shouldn’t be debated.
I thank you Right Hon Speaker and Hon Members of the August House.
===========
Uganda's Muhoozi Kainerugaba denies 'monarchy' plan
Brigadier Muhoozi Kainerugaba (C) with other officers on 16 August 2012Image copyrightAP
Image captionBrigadier Muhoozi Kainerugaba (C) heads an elite unit in the army
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's son has denied that Uganda is a "political monarchy" in which his father will hand the reins of power to him.
However, Brigadier Muhoozi Kainerugaba did not rule out harbouring presidential ambitions, saying Ugandans would choose the next leader.
These are his first comments since a row broke out in May over claims that he is being groomed to succeed his father.
Elections are due in Uganda in 2016.
Renegade General David Sejusa fled to the UK after alleging that Mr Museveni planned to hand power to Brig Kainerugaba.

'People's creation'

In May, police raided the offices of two local newspapers, Daily Monitor and Red Pepper, which published a letter Gen Sejusa wrote to army bosses, warning that people who opposed the "Muhoozi project" risk being killed.
Gen Sejusa last week told the BBC that Uganda was being turned into a "political monarchy" - a charge denied by Brig Kainerugaba.
"Uganda is not a monarchy where leadership is passed on from father to son," he said, in a statement issued by army special forces spokesman Edison Kwesiga.
"This so-called [Muhoozi] project is a people's creation."
Mr Kwesiga said Brig Kainerugaba, 39, had not declared his ambitions and the statement had been issued to "clarify claims by a section of the opposition that there are plans to make him take over".
"The power to choose how Uganda is governed lies with Ugandans and not a single individual," the statement quoted Brig Kainerugaba as saying.
Brig Kainerugaba has risen rapidly within the military, fuelling speculation that he is preparing to become the next president.
He was appointed head of the special forces unit in 2008 and was given control of the elite presidential guard in 2010.
Gen Sejusa told BBC Focus on Africa that Brig Kainerugaba represented a "national project of Mr Museveni to subvert the existing political system in order to perpetuate himself".
"The central issue is a political monarchy - a life presidency and then transiting [to] a political monarchy," he added.
Mr Museveni has been in power since 1986, and has not indicated what his plans are for the 2016 election.

Police start investigating Monitor journalist's case

Tuesday May 7 2013 Advertisement By Bill Oketch The Police Professional Standards Unit, has started investigations into the case of Daily Monitor journalist Mr Emmanuel Opio. This development comes after the Human Rights Network for Journalists (HRNJ) lodged a complaint on behalf of Mr Opio early last year, in which Mr Opio alleges that he was assaulted and coerced to surrender his camera and later his photos were deleted by police officials.
<script>

Probe assasination claims, says Tinye

Tuesday May 7 2013 Gen. Tinyefuza writes to ISO boss, calling for investigations into reports that top military officers, including the President's brother, Gen. Salim Saleh, had hatched a plot to eliminate senior government officials opposed to the 'Muhoozi Project'.
<script>

Muhoozi project doesn't exist - govt

Friday May 10 2013 Defence minister Kiyonga dismisses 'Muhoozi Project' claims, as relatives of Gen. Tinye's aides go to court. Advertisement By SHEILA NATURINDA & ISAAC IMAKA The Government yesterday went on the record, denying that there are plans to have President Museveni's son, Brig. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, replace him as leader of the country.
<script>

Uganda's Muhoozi Kainerugaba denies 'monarchy' plan - BBC News

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's son has denied that Uganda is a "political monarchy" in which his father will hand the reins of power to him. However, Brigadier Muhoozi Kainerugaba did not rule out harbouring presidential ambitions, saying Ugandans would choose the next leader.
<script>

10 reported dead in Kampala riots

Update: 14 September 2009: Business returned to normal in the Ugandan capital Kampala on Monday, after up to 15 people were killed last week during clashes between security forces and supporters of Ronald Muwenda Mutebi, head of the Kabaka ethnic group. Public transport 

No comments:

Post a Comment