Monday, March 6, 2017

#Uganda #Christians side with the oppressor of the downtrowden



By Wabuyi Denis

#Issue 17

Today I come to clear all the activists, opposition agitators and many that have been condemned by their Church leaders for their endeavours to see that fairness does not only appear in the beautiful documents called constitutions but is actually practiced. My anger was drawn from one pastor's sermon that was chastising his flock who always join hands with people who oppose government. He actually went to all time low of querying the source of magnetism that people like Besigye posses. "Do you think such people are alone to get poor people give them money?" I was surprised this man did not know that some among his flock who were going to pay offering did not afford supper last night.

Do you think I sat there to the end? Do you think i actually paid my offering? Do you think that I could pay my tithe under such circumstances? Your guess is as good.

Many a time especially in countries struggling to define democracy, Christianity has been associated with people of a timid disposition. In many prayer houses especially the Pentecostals, there is that vociferous reference to, "leadership comes from God" and the "Obey your leaders and submit to them" as it appears in Hebrews 13:17. Many among Christians have been known to shirk from opposing authority, standing up for the weak, oppressed and those facing injustice. Surprisingly, it is in the same spirit that they evoke Martin Luther, Janan Luwum, Desmond Tutu and the like.

Many a time activism and other activities involving civil disobedience have been treated as ungodly and not befitting of a Christian.
Many times our pastors, padres or priests have been fast at reminding us about Hebrews 13:17.

But hey, give us a break I found word in the scripture that calls upon Christians into activism and maybe political organizing. From tomorrow, I will know that when I rise up against authority for the right cause, even when my shepherd is not on my side, God shall be on my side. It is somewhere in Romans chapter 8 verse 31.

I know very well that some of my Christian friends will rush to question my judgement and ask my authority over the scripture as they have always done. But in the face of all that I will know that God is by my side. I shall carry on, I will be serving my God.

But when the backlash increases, the condemnation rises against you as activists and even the opposition parties, just stay strong, for even government knows that we all mean good. And when your pastor quotes Hebrews 13:17 just because he was given a land Cruiser by the sitting government, refer him to Isaiah 1:17

"Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Plead the case of the widow."

After that we shall all rise up and sing, we shall have brought our oppressors back to the Lord and seated in the far corner, I will hum to that common song,

"I will be somewhere...
I will I will be somewhere
I will I will be somewhere
Working for my Lord..."

http://nangalama.blogspot.com/2017/03/uganda-christians-side-with-oppressor.html

No comments:

Post a Comment