Tuesday, March 14, 2017

#Parenting - Kahlil Gibran on children

Our daughter tried to go to work on Friday but after an hour she had to come home. She was still far too weak and skipped Saturday and Sunday but went to school on Monday.  I dared not ask how her day was going because, just because.  After waiting all morning I did ask and she was okay.

Then she returned home from school before going back out to the club and I asked her if the day was okay. "It was really hard.  The stairs were really hard.  But those stairs are always hard".  Like a champion, she ate her supper and went back to town for the club practice.  I was biting my tongue to tell her not to go but she has many tournament coming up and we do not get into those tournament things. Besides, she really does have to get her body back into shape - in like moving her limbs.

After 7 days of "hold my hand and pray out loud so I sleep", she finally did not ask for this last night. It felt awesome. AND I did not have to wake up to get water.  I no longer have to help her dress or eat. It is like a miracle happened.  You see, when you take things for granted and then something happens, you open your eyes and see life in a different light.  For a child who has not been sick since she was a baby all of a sudden feeding, washing her and dressing her came nearly as a shock.  But this was not even the shock.  The kid is so independent since she was not even 2yrs old so when she cannot move and tells me to roll her over, put her hair up or wash her, I flew into some kind of panic.  Then of course she always reads her own Bible and prays by her own self and then asking me to hold her hand and pray out loud for her, for us, with her really spooked me out.

And as the gods would have it, she is so well today she is not even coming home.  With the kind of weather we are having, she might not even come home tomorrow but what a joy to see your child walk, talk, eat, bathe and dress up, all by herself.  EXACTLY how did we do it when they were babies because babies are so much work now that I think about it?

Then on Sunday she took out her Brazilian weave and realised she had a very big afro. So big she was insanely mad at me for trying to take a picture of it and I kept telling her it looked like a forest which got her even more angry.  That is when I did. I ignored her and took the picture.  I rather like it too.  But soon she will go to university.  I wish she would not go away.  I have walked down this road before.

Martha Leah Nangalama
http://nangalama.blogspot.com/2017/03/parenting-kahlil-gibran-on-children.html
=============

On Children
 Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

THE PROPHET

No comments:

Post a Comment