Friday, July 29, 2016

ON PARENTING - #Uganda #Education #ChildRights #Empowerment #GirlChild



When Natasha was barely 2yrs old I came home from a long day at work.  She always sat on the window seal to watch out for when the yellow school bus would drop off the older sister.  We did not need an alarm for the pick up from the driveway because Tasha would yell "baby baby" meaning that Rebecca was at the driveway.  But we also had a Rottweiler which used to bark very loudly whenever it was time for the school bus dropping Becky off.

Kids grow up super fast.  I write about the girls simply because I do not remember my life before them.

So one day I came into the house with no one welcoming me.  Tash was sitting on the edge of the couch and not talking.  That was a bit weird so I ran over to check her pampers (pot trained at age 15 months) and that was not the problem.

Then she started talking. "Bad mommie".  I looked at Thierry and asked him what had transpired.  He then proceeded to tell me "she talks none stop so when you get home I always expect you to take over and then I can watch my sports".  He was a product manager for Marriott / Sodexo.  His hours were set.  I was working for an oil company and my hours were not fixed like in hospitality because sometimes to beat the deadlines I would work long hours.

The kid turned away from me and started to command her father around.  So I jumped in and told her to not do that.  She then looks at me "baby baby not home".  We had forgotten to tell her that Becky had a play date.  But she so totally ignored me and was focusing on her father.  When the father kept on ignoring her, I saw something that one should never see.  A tiny hand slapped the father across the face.  I was in total shock.  But he just looked at the kid "Tasha, you now have my attention".

By the end, the kid told us to go to hell in one way or another.  She missed her sister.  Mommie was spending too many hours at work.  Daddy did not like her cartoons.

When we got transferred from Toronto to Moncton, we redid our lives over.  And by this time we had gotten our oldest daughter from Uganda so the company had to pack and ship things for 2 grown ups and 3 young girls plus our dog Sheba.

In our new home when everything should have been perfect, our littlest was acting up again.  She was only 3yrs old but had given us enough trouble so everyone was on the edge.

Natasha made me very angry one day and I told her I was gonna sell her on eBay.  She looked at me and said "give me some few days to think about it". So I did not put up an eBay ad for selling her.

My boss stormed in my space that day and told me "Martha, you need to go home".  I had been at work for 16hrs that day and was gonna do more.  But my manager is a superstar.  I listened and drove home.

I walk in and this little kid tells me "It is illegal to sell kids in Canada".
Who even told you that?
I used Google so you are stuck with me.
That is how I first learned about Google Power.  A 6yr old found out that she could not be sold on eBay via Google.

Love Google.  It helped my kid to find out that I could not sell her.  I look at Ugandans who do not use Google and some have the audacity to tell me that everything is on FBzero or Whatssapp and I am like "I have a kid who could be your minister of technology".

Martha Leah Nangalama
Moncton, Canada (lived in Toronto so the search engines do not lie)
#BududaProud
I am passionate about education for without it life is nothing but suffering.
#RespectTeachers


No comments:

Post a Comment