5 hrs ·
The brief below is from the monitor newspaper:
“Mr Onyango identified the deceased as Brian Nsubuga, 22, a resident of Kayunga District, Allan Mubiru, 17, a resident of Nateete, a Kampala suburb, and Abubaker Ffensolyian, a resident of Kawempe, also a Kampala suburb. Others include Haruna Mubiru, Ssula Kato, Arafat Kabonge, Richard Ssenyondo and Abdul Wakayeli. “We are yet to identify some of the victims but we ask those whose relatives are missing to check at Mulago mortuary,” said Mr Onyango. He cautioned revelers against going to beaches alone, saying it is risky and becomes difficult for the police to give assistance if there is no one who alerts them in time.”
The innuendo in the police report is that the people died during the Xmas festivities. I have the following questions before I believe the story.
1. According to the police the bodies were discovered between 23rd December and 27 December; is it traditionally common for Ugandans to start celebrating Christmas by going to the beaches by 23rd?
2. Why, if this is about being drunk and celebrating Christmas is it that the majority of the individuals identified are Muslims? Is the police telling me that Muslims get more inebriated around Christmas that the Christians?
3. Can it be true that people fellow into water and no one witnessed the accidents? The beaches in Entebbe are loaded with “security” guards and one of the requirements at most of these places is to have a life guard.
4. Are we seeing the fast of the bodies that couldn’t be incinerated?
5. Is lake Victoria producing Bryron Kawaddwa’s funny fish again or this is just a new Namanve?
6. Who called the police to the scene?