Booking.com

Sunday, June 28, 2015

USE YOUR REAL IDENTITY ON SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOUR LIFE IS NOT IN DANGER

I have written many articles about Social Media for #Uganda.  I would like to emphasize this one.  Your identity matters.  It will be the easiest way for the world to find you if you go missing.  Right now Uganda is going through a terrifying time.  Consequently, using a fake name or fake picture seems to be safer for many people.  The problem with this is if you go missing, we will not even know where to start.

I have always used my names and my pictures.  This is how you will find over 2800 search results if you Google "Martha Leah Zesaguli).  If you Google my maiden name, the results are some 2000.  Google is very smart, they have linked up my maiden name too.

In February 2015 when one Lubowa Hassan decided to set up fake accounts using all my information to cyber bully me, people searched for me and knew something was not right.  So you see in my case, using my information and making it public saved me.

I ran into some journalists from Uganda who abused me.  Their only problem, they assumed I was a fake profile and did not bother to use Google to find the publicly accessible information.  OR they would have found out that I would likely retain everything they were saying.

It is very simple.  Never attack or abuse a person on Social Media unless you can afford for the abuse to be sent global (I am wherever Google goes so very easy to do) and you cannot stand up in court to defend what you say to people.  Always use your real information.  It will come in handy when we have to look for you.

For God and My Country
Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District whose hospital still has no running water)

No comments:

Post a Comment