Booking.com

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MOB JUSTICE IN #UGANDA MUST NOT BE IGNORED OR EXCUSED

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 MOB JUSTICE IN #UGANDA MUST NOT BE IGNORED OR EXCUSED In 1986 or 1987, I was with my mother at her village Bushika (Bududa District) and we were at our priest's house which was not too far from Bushika Market. We heard loud noises coming from the market so I ran over to see what was going on. I was stunned to see people stoning a man to death and celebrating it. Turned out that it was one of my uncles. He had been hunted like an animal. At that time in the military did not shoot to kill. They had shot him in the legs to imobilize him. Then they put him in a wheel barrow and brought him to the market. His accusation was owning a gun from the previous regime. As soon as they brought him to the market, the military told everyone that he was the thief who had been terrorizing them. That uncle had sat me down the previous day and talked to me about growing food. He knew me rather well. He had said "mayi Leah, you must work hard at school and stop avoiding school". I was very good at dodging school. He begged me to stop hiding and making excuses for school and insisted that it would please him very much if I tried at school. But he mentioned many times that he was a farmer. Imagine my horror to watch one of my favourite uncles being stoned to death. Then I watched his brother uncle Mutobokho beg for his body to be released so that we could bury him. They refused to release the body. Bushika Gombolola. There are some things you will never erase. They kept my uncle's body there for a while. Finally, uncle Mutobokho had to show up with money and they released the body. This uncle was a pastor. The funeral was horrible for a young person. Uncle Mutobokho preached that no one, no one has any right to be judge, jury and executioner and no one should have faced that death. Then he asked the crowd what Jesus said about stoning people to death "let the one who has no sin be the first one to throw the stone". Very traumatic experience as at that time, we did not have medication to preserve the body. We buried my uncle. I took the first flight out not too far from that time and left my village and home. Non, I did not run away from home. I was a kid but the God that I love is amazing as the scholarship was timely. As soon as I got to Canada, I wrote a letter to our president and told him that I feared Mob Justice because of what I had seen. I never got a reply (as usual). I feared so much for what would happen later in Uganda. I did not understand why my uncle would be stoned to death with an entire market of people celebrating. They said he had a gun but I had been at his house many times and had never seen a gun. I told the president that I feared that the mob justice was maybe to make people very afraid. Fast forward, what are you now living through in #Uganda. My uncle had been shot in the leg and could have been taken to Bududa Hospital (that death trap) or Mbale and under guard till being taken to court. That apparently would have been too much to expect. You make a very big mistake to think that Mob Justice is right. It is not. Has never been and never will be. Yes, I was young so I do not know much but I know the law. We follow a British system -- Innocent Till Proven Guilty. When you choose to follow Mob Jusitice, you do not even follow the French system of Guilty Till Proven Innocent. For my uncle (RIP) and for David Ojok, please know that we will inform and educate. FOR #UGANDA, NEVER TAKE THE LAW INTO YOUR HANDS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR POLICE TELL YOU (KILL A THIEF AS SOON AS YOU SEE THEM) BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW. YOU WILL BE FRAMED OR FALSELY ACCUSED AND THEN WHAT? THE NEXT PERSON WILL BE YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE. May their souls rest in eternal peace. For God and My Country Moncton, Canada Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District) Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama) BELIEVE! I wept because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet." Ancient Persian saying I am a Social Justice and Human Rights Activist. Find me on Face Book. All my opinions are mine and do not reflect on any employer or organisation. Mobile +1-506-871-6371 http://nangalama.blogspot.ca/2015/04/mob-justice-in-uganda-must-not-be.html

No comments:

Post a Comment