Thursday, February 12, 2015

WE NEED TO REBUILD A READING CULTURE IN #UGANDA

One of the things which causes me a lot of pain for Uganda is the inability of our future leaders not appreciating reading. They miss a lot.  I do understand that the education system has been diluted but anyone can read without being in the classroom.  Parents can help. The teachers are a great source as well.  These days, many kids have Face Book and can read many posts which educate and inform.

In 2013, I started posting about education and scholarships. No one followed my advice.  In 2014, I went full circle and even gave deadlines of International student applications.  This year 2015, I did the same and the response was still not what I would have hoped for.  Let me tell you a story.  All my articles are based on real life.

In Canada and USA, you need a first degree (4yrs) before you get into Law School or Medical School.  In October 2014, I watched one kid (16yrs old) get admitted into Dalhousie University in Halifax Canada (in 2 minutes) and she did the applications herself. In January 2015, the same kid (now 17yrs old) applied to University of Toronto, MacMaster University and Carleton University.  Last week she got her admission to University of Toronto (I went  there) and she will get into MacMaster anyway because she is focused.  She is 17yrs old.  I did not help her at all.  She did everything herself.

The scholarship (financial assistance) applications for University of Toronto are due tomorrow (Feb 13, 2015) and she has done it alone.  The ones for Dalhousie are due Feb 23, 2015 and she is doing them alone.  MacMaster University does not require extra applications.  Carleton is on the back burner for now. In case you are wondering, it is Medical Sciences for her Bachelor at Dal and then Med school.  For University of Toronto, it is Bio Chem then Medical School (same for MacMaster U).

NOW see Uganda.
I posted for 6 months telling everyone that the deadlines for International Students are much tighter.  Today you now see.  A Canadian citizen kid of 17yrs old is facing deadlines of Feb 13 and Feb 23 and Ugandans ignored the deadline I had suggested of Dec 15th.  All this is for Sept 2015 entry.  I wrote a lot about how to apply, how to find where to apply, how to search for your program of study, find a school, apply as soon as possible and then indicate that you needed a scholarship.  You see, Canada and USA work differently from what you have all been told.  You must secure admission first before you are considered for a scholarship.  So you ignored my advice and now it looks like we will have to try for Sept 2016 entry which means you actually start doing the work in June or July and then submit applications in October 2015 for entry of Sept 2016.  DO YOU SEE HOW MUCH TIME WE HAVE LOST?

The above is not even all of it.  I posted about the UWC scholarship applications for Uganda. I even posted guidelines.  Imagine my shock when some kids send me their grades and ask me to apply for them.  Why would I do that?  I graduated way back and I do not need to apply.  You refuse to help yourselves and then complain about how all scholarships are allocated to special people?  Whoa.  I have given you all the information to apply for the ones which are not government related and you have refused to read so now, never complain again.  Museveni is not your biggest problem.  Your enemy is that thing in your head between the ears.  YOUR BRAIN.

READ, READ, READ -- it is good for you.  You make a big mistake not to read the information presented to you.  For God and My Country.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District)
UWC Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific, Canada (high school)
Trent University, Canada (bachelors)
University of Toronto, Canada (masters)
Previously: Bududa PS, Namugongo Girls PS, Namagunga Girls SS


No comments:

Post a Comment