Booking.com

Saturday, February 14, 2015

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH HATE AS I HAVE SEEN IN #UGANDA

Today, Feb 14, 2015, I had to walk off some Uganda pages on FaceBook for 2 reasons.

Reason one is the hatred allowed on some pagers is no longer tolerable.  I watched one gentleman get blasted for things he did not even do and would not have known because he was just a child.  However, because our country likes to hate and blame, some people were throwing mud at him it made no sense to me.  People are not reading and they are so angry, hungry and despaired that they lash out at anyone who dares to challenge them to do anything to help themselves.  We have a lot of work to do in Uganda.  How do you go and blame a child of a former leader when the person was just a kid?  I sure hope no one will blame my kids for my work.  I felt so much shame I have stopped posting things on that page.  Until the Administrators do their work of deleting and banning out right attacks and abuses, I will stay away.

Reason two, it is a matter of principle.  You should live with some principles no matter what they are.  We all need a measuring stick of who we are.  That is how integrity works.  Your life is judged by the values you hold dear.  And these values are not about you, but rather about your custodianship for humanity.  When you see injustice, stand up for the person or people who are being oppressed.  You know that silence is consent.  You will be judged by history.  I certainly would not like the girls to one day read about something that was injust and not see that I did not work on stopping it.

My father was educated in UK under Obote.  He was then sent to Japan for more education under Amin. I would have been a Museveni generation but I came to Canada as soon as Museveni took over so I have respect for all our presidents.  When Obote was the president of #Uganda, he did a lot for my home area.  He worked closely with the East African Community and that is how our father ended up in Nairobi and Arusha and even teaching in their best schools.  When Amin was in charge, he sent father to Japan to learn more about Telecommunications and then had father work in Kenya and Tanzania as his past posts.  When we had the fall out, father was recalled to Kampala and Amin had body guards for our father because people who run Telecom are crucial to a regime.  To this day, I will never forget the picture my relatives painted for me (I was a kid and in boarding school, no idea why we put kids so young in boarding schools).  Amin sent the military to evacuate our family from Nakasero (we were only about 5 mins from State House) and so many soldiers had to drive from  that place all the way to Bududa to leave our family safe there.  Of course they returned to Kampala with mzee.  Then during that "liberation", he was locked up at work and they guarded him 24 by 7.  Incidentally, Museveni knew about all the key places.  So the take over, first place to secure was Uganda Posts and Telecom so again, we had soldiers guarding that building. I have written about this in the past and you can read my blog for the other write up. So even Museveni had soldiers guarding us.

I have no political affiliations.  I think it is key that people understand that the children are not responsible for what their parents did. I wish I had been allowed on the PBXs as I would have bastardized the crap out of them but mbu I was too young.

Can we be civil please and stop blaming the Obote kids or Amin kids.  They were kids.  AND in any case, given what is going on in Uganda, I think we should let our elders rest in peace forever instead of fighting their ghosts when our enemy is us.  YES, the enemy is us.  Now, we turn a chapter and work for us.  Let the past go and we look at what we can do for Uganda as a people, a united people.  You would be fooling yourself to think that the past is going to help you now.  Yes, history is important but it is for us to learn lessons for now and the future but not for us to use it as an excuse for our current problems.  I have watched many speeches and even read many articles where people talk about 1966 or 1971 or 1979.  I get so mixed up it even makes no sense.  Last year, I saw the one about the constitution and 1966 and the first thing that went through my mind was "this is 2014 so what is the application?".  This year I even read somethings about 1971 and 1979 and I had to pinch myself because we are in 2015.  How long will we blame history for our current problems when we are all very aware of what the current problems are?

ps: If I have pissed you off.  Good.  I intended to. WAKE UP UGANDA!!

Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada (FIFA World cup for women is happening here so if you are coming, ring me)
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District)




No comments:

Post a Comment