Booking.com

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Your Social Network is your family away from Family. Respect your friends and Care

This is a serious post and I am writing it with a serious face (no kidding).

The people you interact with on Face Book really care about you.  Be nice to them.  I am the first one to admit that I am not very nice on FB but some people were dropped on their heads when they were born and even when the doctor slapped you to scream, he meant, you are gonna be an idiot.  Anyway, most people were not dropped and were not slapped, because they are nice.

When you go days or months without telling your network where you are and if all is okay, we worry.  I say this particularly for Uganda because I have some vanishing Ugandan friends and then wonder if they were arrested or killed.

In MacMaster University hospital, as soon as I came out of the medically induced comma, I reached for my laptop.  Yeah, the nurses had my laptop and cell phone besides me because it is my nature.  I did lose a pair of shoes though (I think it was lost in the ambulance between Toronto East General Hospital on the way to MacMaster University hospital in Hamilton Ontario).

First thing up was to let all my friends at work know that I was awake.  Second thing was to tell my parish where I was.  Third thing was to tell my family that Leah lives.  I was not on FB at that time but the fourth thing would have been to tell my network that I needed prayers. The prayers of many bought me a lease on life.

Why I say this is even Kabila, he did not send me a memo that he was being protested against for extending term limits.  Such a bad friend.  At least Museveni would say, via Kagingo.

In 2014, we spent 2 months in hospital.. hahaha .. some of you did not even know.  The interesting thing is the doctor would check the family room first (computer access) to get me to look at the results from the tests and MRI, cScan things.  Yes, the hospitals here provide internet access free.  When the kid was asleep, I did not use the laptop in the room (I type very furiously so the keys can wake you up).  Then in another hospital, the first thing the doctor asked when I was there was "where is her laptop"?  So you see, no matter how sick you are, you can find a way to connect with people.  OTHERWISE WE WORRY.

Some of my key friends, when they travel or something happens, I wake up to a message of "I am travelling, will be in touch".  Now, why do we not teach this to all our friends?  Do you know that if you are a regular poster on Face Book and you vanish we think something bad has happened?

Keep in touch with your FB friends.  Or post at least once daily so they can know you live.  You live.  My family, well, I have all their phone numbers so even if they are off FB, I know how to get hold of them.  But some of you also, I do not have all your contact numbers so if you disappear, what do you expect me to think?

You should also know that hiding your identity and contact information in this age excludes you from great friends and great opportunities.

YEAH - I am a Problem Solver.  Of what, I have no idea.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District)

No comments:

Post a Comment