Friday, January 23, 2015

Your Employers, Current and Future, Your Business Partners and Future Ones and Any Scholarship Giver Read your FB

I have spent a little over a year telling #Uganda that what you say on Social Media will affect your future. Anything you do on the Internet is the same.  Those apps you have on your phones all run off the Internet so beware. So they also will be traced back to you.

I have always known that my managers and colleagues read everything I post.  That is why I block people who make no sense or outright tell them to block themselves.  You make a very big mistake not to realise the power of Social Media (Face Book and other ones) and the Internet.  People, please, be real. Use your true identity if your life is not in imminent danger.  People look for you on the Internet.  In any case, if you are in danger, it is better that the world knows you and then all Social Justice and Human Rights activists will know who to defend and petition for.

You all know that I post a lot about education, jobs and human rights.  My payback came today when one of the schools I attended sent out one of my blogs to the Ugandan UWC committee members.  I have written about many other universities and more about the ones I attended.  I am passionate about education because the best way forward is education.

My plea to you is to keep a clean image on the Internet.  And keep it real.  Because most people will put your name in Google and if garbage comes up, you will be left behind.  If nothing comes up, that is even worse.  I am not joking about this at all.  When a school you attended as a kid can find you, others will find you.  Remove all the silly pictures which are in compromising positions.  Remove silly posts.  The world needs serious people.  Those who use Unglish and then argue that it is a language, well good luck with that.

You can read on my blog "social media guidelines".  Even the friends you keep will reflect on you.  I had one person tell me "they are not so smart but they are my friends, please just ignore them". WRONG.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District)

No comments:

Post a Comment