Booking.com

Monday, January 12, 2015

Unemployment in Uganda among the youth is estimated at 80-95%

Yes, we have some 50 Universities which pump out young people with degrees that cost their parents far too much money.  I write about education a lot.  Good luck finding some articles on my blog.

What is interesting about the graduates from all these schools... so many are half illiterate.  Kids can write better than University graduates from #Uganda.  Something is going on in that country and we need to pay attention.

When I was a kid growing up in Uganda, all education up to University was paid by the parents.  When your kid got into University (there was only one, Makerere University), it was free and the kids got monthly allowances.  I am not sure of the year but when Primary (Elementary) and Secondary (high school) went free, University became paid.  So many parents sold land, animals, everything, etc. just to put their kids through school.  Now, so many graduates cannot get a job.  Well, some write horribly though and I would never consider them for a job.

Something terrible has happened to the education system in Uganda.  We used to be the pride of Africa and now, Ugandans show up online writing bad, really bad.  They cannot articulate or reason logically.  Who is poisoning the water in that country?

Just for your information, I completed my Secondary School in Canada and my two University degrees are also from Canada.  But I will never forget when my older siblings were at Makerere.  Even, I have nieces and nephews who went to Kyambogo (Engineers) and it is also a great one. Someone help me understand.

Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment