Tuesday, January 20, 2015

UGANDA IS NOT A FAILED STATE AS I WROTE LAST YEAR. WE CAN MAKE IT.

In 2014, I wrote something.  Uganda is a failed state.  A young lady from Uganda told me it was not. Now I pay attention.  I had written about it after reading about the corruption, no medicine, unpaid salaries, no electricity in parts of Kampala, no paid salaries, tortures and arbitrary arrests, bad roads, hunger and so much more.  What made me mad was to realise that most people fly out of Uganda for medical help.  We have amazing doctors and nurses in Uganda but they work with nothing.  We have no toilettes on our roads so people have to do their business in the bush.  Did you even go to the bush?  Do you want me to take off my clothes and show you the signs from going into the bush? Yeah, I am gonna have some nudes up next.  This one kid in a school in Tororo confronted the District Admin about their school not having a pit latrine. Well, great future leader, his school now has it.  The kids were going in the surrounding farms.

UGANDA WILL NO LONGER BE A FAILED STATE AS LONG AS WE DEMAND AND WORK FOR IT.

I want the best things for all the kids in Uganda.  Living in Canada does not mean I forget home.  And this goes to all the people who accuse Ugandans in the diaspora for not caring.  We care a lot.  You just do not care and you want so much for free when many of us work day and night to help Uganda.

This one kid spent a night away from home to study for a Maths exam.  The little one did 1hr of gymn, 1.5hrs of basketball and now at her badminton game. We have African kids who put in 4-5hrs of sports plus excelling at school.  We have kids who take sports and education very seriously. Stop making excuses.

You have diluted the education system.  Did you notice that the people who care about their kids send them to UK and USA for education?   In my days, Wanyange, Nabumali, Mwiri, Nabingo, Namasagali, Namugongo, Namagunga, Kibuli, etc.. Teso College was a good one too.  But you all just sat back and let your institutions flander.  Did you not realise that not every parent can send their kids abroad?

The hard work starts now and it starts with each and everyone of us.  I would suggest that we pay our civil servants, even the police and army.  I suggest that we get rid of ghosts (Inspector Gadget is good, call him).  I suggest that we account for donor funds.  I was trained in Best Business Practices and Accountability.  You make a very big mistake to say "did you go to the bush?".

Let us build a Successful Uganda.  But your salaries for some people, pathetic.. how do you even get away with that.  I want to put something here that some of you will hate me for.  It is not the first time I say this.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda (Bududa District)

http://www.sfo.gov.uk/press-room/press-release-archive/press-releases-2009/embezzlement-in-430-million-euros-humanitarian-projects-in-uganda.aspx 


No comments:

Post a Comment