Booking.com

Thursday, January 15, 2015

SET UP GOOGLE ALERTS ON THE NEWS AND ISSUES WHICH MATTER TO YOU

Some things we do subliminally and never think of explaining might need to be explained to others one day.  I am facing one of those because some friends in #Uganda have asked me how to set up Google Alerts.

I am a Google Partner (youtube, blogspot, etc.. wherever Google goes, I go).  This one costs nothing except you setting up a Gmail account.  I am interested in this one for Uganda because this is the one you can use to set up Google Alerts so that you can get alerts delivered into you mail box about the news that matter to you.  This is how I get the information whenever there is a new article delivered on the Internet and also that blog (changeofguards  - you should know that blogspot is run by Google).  Generally all bloggers who use Google can get any other blog post easily. Anyone can get this too.  All you need is your Gmail account.  Once you have that account, you log into your account. When you are logged in, you open another window and select Google alerts.  This is a one time thing. It will open up a page and then you can put in your search terms and save them and voila.  You will get emails of whenever anything happens with your search terms.  For example my Google Alerts are "Uganda Museveni".

Yahoo is interesting. I have been with Yahoo for a long time.  It will also require you to have a yahoo email.  Yahoo has done something I like.  Daily, they will deliver all the key news into your yahoo email account and it is up to you to read.  I have no idea how to set up news alerts with Yahoo but I am sure they do exist.  I just go with what they deliver in my account.

You can do the same with Microsoft and Bing but I have never bothered.  I have a Microsoft Business Partnership.  I had to have a Microsoft account for this one too.  So I do have a hotmail account.  The big companies always want you to have an account with them in order to access their services. The Microsoft Business Partnership does cost money every year but only when one wants to get keys for all the software each year.  Your previous year licenses still remain valid.  When you need new upgrades and additions you will then have to do some work.  The cost is $400-500 and you need to do exams to prove that you are fluent in Microsoft products and you have to prove that you do promote their products (usually you have to own a company whose mission is mostly working and promoting Microsoft Products).  You get many site and personal license keys for a tiny fraction of what people pay for verified software.  You can understand why you get many keys for a fraction, it is to help your company while promoting their products. I am a Microsoft and Google person and Yahoo is really mostly for communication.

I know some of what I am writing requires a good internet connection.  I have not lived in a place without full Internet connection since I was young and relating to people who have intermittent Internet connections is still a challenge.  However, you all see that I use what I have access to bring you what I can find.

http://nangalama.blogspot.ca/2015/01/set-up-google-alerts-on-news-and-issues.html

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment