Booking.com

Thursday, January 1, 2015

I WAS ONCE STOPPED IN AN AIRPORT FOR POSSIBLY STEALING A KID.

Apparently stealing kids is a good business.  I have no idea how much you get per kid.  I have never stolen any kid though.  But in Paris, I was suspected to steal a kid.  This is a true story.  She just kept saying Auntie Leah.  Happened in Uganda  too.  If you do not know our culture, you will not understand why kids call their parents auntie or uncle....because all their playmates call you auntie or uncle.  When my water broke for Mini, I drove Becky to the daycare, and the teacher asked her who was going to pick her up that day.  Her reply, auntie Leah, will you pick me up or is uncle picking me up.  My reply was "your uncle will pick you up" then proceeded to drive to the hospital while on bluetooth and telling our doctor that I think something had happened.   When he showed up "auntie Leah, how are you feeling".... I was on that funny needle and reading the finance section in the Globe and Mail.  So the immigration people who do not have culture make a big mistake.  

Auntie and Uncle in many cultures means that the kids have great friends and also a good sign that the parents are good and will always be called auntie or uncle.  It is the sign of respect.  When your own kids grow up in such an environment, they end up calling their own parents the same things.  I still remember the face on that man in Kampala who said, Ugandans always claim kids to be their own.  Till I called Rebecca into the room.  He asked her, who I was -- reply "this is auntie Leah".  Nothing had changed since France.

Welcome to International Culture.  You can take the elevator, some of us take the stairs.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda
Find more on my blog.  I keep it straight.  My people need sugar so I will not waste any sugar on the internet.  Happy New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment