Thursday, January 1, 2015

BE A POSITIVE INFLUENCE IN EVERY LIFE YOU MEET. ESPECIALLY KIDS.

I just got off the phone with my big brother.  Frank Eyitene.  He is in Real Estate in Toronto.  Last summer when Becky was in Toronto with Annie and Doug, uncle Frank took her all over too.  One day I will talk about that.  My big brother is from Nigeria.  He is very intuitive.  Frank is an amazing man.  He works with Remax. He made our family a lot of money.  But it is not about the money.  The first day I met him, he saw the potential in me.  I was a timid nerdy kid but Frank encouraged me to talk. I had no idea that talking was a big thing.  I had spent all my time with computers.  This man told me that until I make people understand what I do with computers, then nothing matters.  But being African origin and telling me this.  My managers had already been sending me to a lot of training to teach me how to talk to people.  I even have recordings of my presentations of those trainings...it was horrible.  Uncle Frank put me on the spot.  And now talking to people is so easy.  I have worked with some of the best managers in the world.  They always knew where I could do better. I do not recommend this for everyone but sometimes when you are timid, you do not know what you can do.  I think uncle Frank (that is what the kids call him) and my managers saw a bit more in me than I saw in myself.  My goodness, coding was me and to talk to people was so hard.

I think that we are all capable of a lot more than we think.  Many times, it will take someone who really cares about you as a person to help you get to the other degree.  There is no doubt that computer programming is a great thing.  But can you imagine if my managers and my best brother had not pushed me, would I be here writing to you all?

I have written about this one time when I was invited to be on a panel discussion.  It was the Trasnportation and Logistics in Moncton, Canada.  I had no notes.  I even had no ideas that their version of panel meant that I had to do a presentation for an hour.  I remembered Helen Quinlan one time telling me, never be afraid of crowds.  Then this Jean Gorbeil one time telling me that I could be called up to talk in public with no preparation.  I winged it and I thank them much because they know me well.  Frank Eyitene always told me that I could do anything as long as I could use my voice.

So many people go through life without meeting great people.  I have met many who were placed in my life to help me.  Karma is real.  My elders and my people in Uganda have always prayed for me to be blessed by wisdom from people I would meet.  I thank all my elders, managers, friends, church friends, neighbours and the medical professionals and volunteers.

By Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment