Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Save your Social Media (especially Face Book) because it can be Used Against You Anytime

WE DO A LOT ON FACE BOOK.  NOW WE SHOULD ALSO KNOW HOW TO SAVE EVERYTHING WE DO. EVERYTHING.  IT IS CALLED ARCHIVING.  What you do on Whatsap, Viber, Tango, etc, is already archived even if you delete your account.

Sorry, I did not see this coming up but it did come up.  Some of us are all over the internet we do not care what stories people make up about us.  Some of you should care.  Some of you are not so you will not know when things are being made up about you.  This is why you need to secure your profile and identity.  I suggest that you use Google once a week and type in your name to see what shows up that you did not write or share.  I thank Ann Elizabeth for asking about this particular issue in Q&A.

For FB, start backing up your data - everything you say on Face Book.  It will be easier for you to get the information in case of litigation than you getting a court order for Face Book to release it.  It might also save your relationship if you are being questioned.  Might also prove to other people that you never said those things that people use your profile to claim you said. Might also prove some other things I will not mention.  I am not a litigation lawyer but get into the habit of knowing what is going on about you and your loved ones on the internet.  Since Uganda uses FB a lot, this message is more or less directed to Uganda.  Protect Yourself and the ones you love.  Keep a copy of your information somewhere safe (I suggest cloud storage). Remember that everything you say on FB or the internet or those phone apps will find itself to the last person you would want to know about it.  My blog has all this information.

Why do I say all this - well, I got a threat about things I might have said and I know I did not say them for a fact.  So I looked at all my back ups everything nightly, I never said those things (kinda helps to have data).  I am not worried about it but I am not easy to intimidate.  I just wanted to warn my friends and family - always know what you write, share and post.  It will come to haunt you when you least expect it.

It is just a matter of time before you get harassed and intimidated or blackmailed.  I am lucky to be all over the internet but some of you are not and you will get hurt.  Even I know I might get hurt but at least I know that I have backups of all that I say and do.  Do you know what you say daily to people and what you do on the Internet?

Happy New Year.
Martha Leah Zesaguli (Nangalama)
Moncton, Canada
Born and Raised in Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment